Onion Pakodas or Pakoras are usually served with fried and salted green chillies and a spicy green chutney and a sweet chutney. Tomato Ketchup also suits better. Crispy Onion Pakoda recipe and Tea is a nice combination, a perfect evening snack recipe.
There are many varieties of pakodas like Palak Pakoda, Methi Pakoda (Which is popular by the name "Methi Na Gota" in Maharashtra), Mixed Vegetable pakoda, peanut pakoda, semiya pakoda, cashew pakoda, Chicken Pakoda, Fish Pakoda etc are the other variations.
Also Baking Soda will be added in bajjis so that they can puff up, whereas baking soda is not added in pakodas. In Bajjis the main ingredient is dipped in batter so batter needs to puff up after frying, otherwise bajjis will be hard to eat. Whereas in pakodas, flour is just dusted and hence it doesn't need to puff up.
Ingredients for kanda bhaji recipe - south indian onion pakoda recipe1. Onions - 3 big onions
2. Besan(Chick Pea) Flour - 1 n 1/2 cup
3. Rice Flour - 1/4 cup
4. Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
5. Mint Leaves - 2 sprigs (Optional)
6. Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp (Optional)
7. Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
8. Carom Seeds - 1/2 tsp
9. Asafoetida(Hing) - A Pinch
10. Salt - To Taste
11. Red Chilli Powder - 1 n 1/2 tsp
12. Water - As Needed (Preferably 1/4 cup)
13. Oil - For Deep Frying
Do checkout my other tea time snack recipes,
- Egg frankie and Veg frankie
- Sweet Corn Vada
- Stuffed Mirchi Bajji
How to make kanda bhaji - south indian onion pakoda crispy
2. Now to the onions add besan flour, rice flour, red chilli powder, chopped mint leaves(if using), chopped curry leaves, carom seeds, cumin seeds, ginger garlic paste and asafoetida and mix well. Do not add any water
3. Take oil in a frying pan and heat it. When the oil is hot take a fistful of dough and drop it in to the hot oil in small amounts. If you feel the dough is too dry, then sprinkle very little water, mix well and then drop it in to the oil
4. Fry nicely and drain them on a tissue paper. Hot crispy south indian onion pakoda recipe or kanda bhajis are ready to eat.